Web Proxies and Why VPN is Better
- 29 Mar, 2022
A Web proxy is a website allowing you to open other sites through its domain. Web proxies have a number of disadvantages, so it’s more rational to use a VPN instead of them.
All webproxies have a common trait: a special field where you type the URL you want to open anonymously. For example, if you want to anonymously open google.com, first you should open a Web proxy site (we recommend that you use the best free sites available), type your target site’s address into the form, and click on the “Go” button.
Why use Web proxies?
1. Because the receiving domain logs not your real IP address, but a Web proxy’s one. You can visit any websites you want through this medium, just don’t close your browser tab where you run your proxy and open everything there. Therefore, a Web proxy lets you to “force” its own IP address across your entire Internet session.
2. Because all Web proxies are free for all sites. It’s not too expensive to run such a service, and it has a lot of drawbacks that we’ll cover later. Because of this, a paid Web proxy is very rare to find.
3. A selection of Web proxies is massive in all national domains. Some work faster, others work not so fast; some have advertising, others don’t; so a great variety is available to choose from.
Disadvantages of Web proxies
However, the majority of users of Web proxies have negative feedback on them. This is due to a number of reasons:
– Proxies are very slow: a ping takes 250 ms on average, while a VPN gives you 25 ms maximum.
– Web proxies force you to watch ads twice: on the site of the proxy itself and on the target site that you open via the proxy. And you can be forced to watch very sensitive and even adult ads.
– Owners of Web proxies are unknown, and nobody can guarantee that your data will remain yours after you surf the Web through a proxy.
– Web proxies are very unstable. You can easily lose connection, and even the site itself can quickly disappear overnight.
– The majority of proxies have caps on the number of megabytes you can download and upload. For example, you will have hard times trying to upload your photo album into a cloud storage via a proxy because of the 1 Mb cap for each file. You won’t watch YouTube as well: online videos just don’t run via proxies because of great load.
– You can’t use data encryption under Web proxies.
– You can’t substitute your IP. The proxy will force its IP on you.
– Many safe Web proxies are blocked in some countries.
What should you choose instead of Web proxies?
Use a VPN.
The Whoer.net VPN is free from all the aforementioned drawbacks of a Web proxy: it works fast, doesn’t cut speed, has no ads, works stable, offers IP addresses from different countries, encrypts all traffic both ways, doesn’t log your actions.